Active Transportation (AT) is an important component of building healthier community and contributing positively to everyone’s health and well-being. Increasing access to active modes of transportation in Renfrew County also results in broader economic and social benefits.
As many municipalities adopt a planning model based on economic, environmental and social sustainability, AT can be key factor in spurring economic growth while protecting the environment and promoting health. Collaborative initiatives that support active transportation can help municipalities — both urban and rural — achieve their economic goals and support the development of active, vibrant and healthier communities:
• increased foot traffic and decreased vehicle congestion
• higher commercial property values
• lower real estate vacancy rates
• increased retail sales and tax revenues
• enhanced and accessible street design, known as streetscaping
• active commutes for employees and employers
• increased productivity, fewer sick days and lower employee turnover rates
• healthier work-life balance
This fact sheet explores how AT contributes to a stronger economy, and increases equity and social inclusion.